Crete offers a great range of vacation experiences, from the tranquil villages to the vibrant cities bustling with activity. The beaches on this beautiful island are well known for their crystal-clear water and soft sand. The island is a perfect destination for travellers looking to relax and soak up some sun while enjoying the different resorts. However, some of the resorts are overrated and tourists are advised to be cautious in making their choices. In this article, we take a look at the most overrated resorts in Crete.
Beware: The Most Overrated Crete Resorts:
Chania is one of the most popular travel destinations in Crete. It is known for its beautiful Venetian harbour, narrow streets and old buildings. However, the charm of Chania is diminishing as it becomes more and more touristy. The crowds and noise are making it an unpleasant place to be, especially during peak season.
Stalida is a resort area situated on the east coast of Crete. It is an extension of Hersonissos and is popular among package holiday goers. Stalida has a long sandy beach, lively nightlife, and plenty of bars and restaurants. However, it is overcrowded, and the beach lacks the sense of serenity that one would expect.
Hersonissos is a popular resort town located on the north coast of Crete. It is famous for its lively atmosphere, long sandy beach, and packed nightlife. The town is overcrowded, and the noise levels can be very high, especially during peak season, making it unsuitable for those seeking peace and tranquillity.
Malia, located on the north coast of Crete, is known for its vibrant nightlife scene. However, the noise levels are excessive, and the town is overcrowded during peak season. Malia is also infamous for its rowdy behaviour, attracting mainly young tourists who party all night and sleep in the morning.
Elounda, situated on the east coast of Crete, is a luxury resort area popular among affluent travellers. It is an exclusive area with luxury hotels, private beaches, and peaceful surroundings. However, the prices are incredibly high, and the exclusivity can be a turn-off for some.
Q: What is the best time to visit Crete?
A: The best time to visit Crete is from April to October. During this period, the weather is warm and sunny, and the sea is perfect for swimming.
Q: Which is the most family-friendly resort in Crete?
A: Agios Nikolaos is a family-friendly resort in Crete. It is a peaceful area with a small beach and very few tourists, making it perfect for those travelling with children.
Q: Which is the most affordable resort in Crete?
A: Gouves is the most affordable resort in Crete. It is situated in the north of the island and offers a wide range of accommodation options suitable for every budget.
Q: What are the popular activities to do in Crete?
A: Some popular activities in Crete include visiting historical sites, going on boat trips, hiking, and enjoying the beach.
Top 10 tourist attractions located in Beware: The Most Overrated Crete Resorts:
1. The Palace of Knossos: This ancient Minoan palace is one of the most important archaeological sites in Crete.
2. The Venetian Harbour of Chania: The small harbour is surrounded by charming buildings and is a must-visit for anyone interested in history.
3. Samaria Gorge: The longest gorge in Europe, Samaria Gorge is a beautiful and challenging hiking trail.
4. Arkadi Monastery: The monastery is a beautiful example of Byzantine architecture and played a crucial role in the Cretan revolution.
5. Diktaean Cave: The mythical birthplace of Zeus, the Diktaean Cave is a beautiful hiking trail with stunning views.
6. Spinalonga Island: This beautiful island was once a leper colony and is now a popular tourist attraction.
7. Agios Nikolaos: A charming coastal town on the east coast of Crete, Agios Nikolaos is a peaceful getaway destination.
8. Balos Lagoon: A beautiful secluded beach with crystal-clear water and soft sand, located near Chania.
9. Chania Old Town: The old town of Chania is a charming area with narrow streets, old buildings, and a lively atmosphere.
10. Cave of Zeus: Another mythical cave, this is where Zeus was hidden as a baby to protect him from his father, Kronos.
Crete offers a wide range of beautiful and exciting places to explore, but some of the resorts are overrated and overcrowded. Tourists are advised to be cautious while selecting their vacation destination in Crete. The island has a lot to offer outside the touristy areas, so take the time to explore and experience the authentic Cretan culture.