Crete is a beautiful and diverse island in Greece, boasting a rich history, stunning landscapes, and delicious cuisine. However, not all resorts on the island are created equal. In this article, we will be exploring Crete’s worst resorts, highlighting why they should be avoided, and offering alternative options for a perfect holiday experience.
While there are many great resort destinations on Crete, there are also some that have earned a reputation for being subpar. These resorts are often plagued with a range of issues, from poor service and outdated facilities to dirty beaches and overcrowding. If you’re looking for a relaxing and enjoyable holiday, we highly recommend avoiding these resorts at all costs.
Here are the top 5 worst resorts on Crete:
Malia is known for its party scene, with an abundance of bars and clubs catering to young tourists. While some may enjoy the lively atmosphere, many travelers find the resort to be overcrowded, loud, and lacking in charm.
Hersonissos is another resort that attracts a young crowd, with many party-goers flocking to its clubs and bars. However, the resort has become infamous for its overcrowded beaches, hordes of tourists, and a lack of cleanliness.
3. Agios Nikolaos
While Agios Nikolaos has some beautiful scenery, the resort is generally viewed as being outdated and lacking in modern amenities. Tourists may also be disappointed with its small beaches and limited dining options.
Stalida is another resort that caters to party-goers, with many bars and clubs offering cheap drinks and wild nights. However, the resort can be noisy and crowded, with little to offer in terms of attractions or activities.
Gouves is often described as being a “typical tourist trap,” with little to offer in terms of culture or authenticity. Visitors may be disappointed with its lack of character, crowded beaches, and high prices.
While these resorts may not be ideal for a perfect holiday, there are many other destinations on Crete that offer a more authentic and enjoyable experience. From quiet fishing villages to charming hilltop towns, there is something for every type of traveler on the island.
FAQs about Crete’s Worst Resorts:
1. Is it safe to visit these resorts?
While these resorts are generally safe, travelers may want to take extra precautions during peak season when crowds are at their highest.
2. Are there any alternative resort destinations on Crete?
Yes, there are many charming villages and towns on the island that offer a more authentic and enjoyable experience.
3. What are some of the best attractions on Crete?
Some of the top attractions on the island include the Palace of Knossos, Elafonisi Beach, Samaria Gorge, and the Venetian Harbor in Chania.
Top 10 Tourist Attractions Located in Crete’s Worst Resorts:
1. Malia Beach- despite its reputation, Malia Beach is a lovely spot for sunbathing and swimming.
2. Aquaworld Aquarium- located in Hersonissos, this aquarium is a great destination for families with kids.
3. Agios Nikolaos Marina- while the resort may be lacking in charm, its marina is a great spot to admire the boats and enjoy a coffee.
4. Stalida Beach- despite its reputation for being crowded, Stalida Beach is a beautiful spot for swimming and sunbathing.
5. Cretaquarium- located in Gouves, this aquarium is a fun destination for kids and adults alike.
6. Sarakina Gorge- while not technically in a resort, the Sarakina Gorge is a beautiful natural attraction located near Malia.
7. Lake Voulismeni- located in the heart of Agios Nikolaos, this picturesque lake is surrounded by cafes and restaurants.
8. Roman Archaeological Site- located in Hersonissos, this ancient site offers a glimpse into Crete’s rich history.
9. Lychnostatis Open Air Museum- located in Hersonissos, this museum offers an insight into traditional Cretan life.
10. Gouves Beach- while the resort may be lacking in character, its beach is a great spot for swimming and sunbathing.
While these attractions may be worth visiting, we still strongly recommend avoiding the worst resorts on Crete. By choosing a more authentic and enjoyable destination, you’ll be able to experience the island’s true beauty and charm. So save your money and skip these subpar resorts- you won’t regret it!