Discover the Hidden Gems of Corfu on Your Next Vacation
Located in the northwest corner of Greece, Corfu is a beautiful island that has long been a popular destination for tourists from all over the world. Corfu is the second-largest of the Ionian Islands and is set against the backdrop of the azure waters of the Mediterranean Sea. The island is known for its stunning beaches, clear blue skies, and ancient ruins. However, there is much more to Corfu than meets the eye. In this article, we will explore the hidden gems of Corfu that are not to be missed on your next vacation to this paradise on earth.
Top 10 Tourist Attractions in Corfu:
1. Paleokastritsa Beach: Paleokastritsa Beach is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Corfu. The beach is surrounded by lush green hills and is known for its crystal-clear waters. The beach features a variety of water sports, such as parasailing, jet skiing, and scuba diving.
2. Achilleion Palace: The Achilleion Palace is a beautiful residence that was constructed by Empress Elisabeth of Austria in 1890. The palace is located on the edge of a cliff overlooking the sea and is decorated with intricate sculptures and frescoes.
3. Corfu Old Town: Corfu Old Town is a UNESCO World Heritage Site that features a blend of Venetian, French, and British architecture. The town is filled with narrow cobblestone streets, ancient churches, and a picturesque harbor.
4. Mount Pantokrator: Mount Pantokrator is the highest peak on the island of Corfu, standing at 914 meters. The mountain offers stunning views of the island and the surrounding sea.
5. Angelokastro Castle: Angelokastro Castle is a medieval fortress that dates back to the 13th century. The castle is perched on a steep cliff overlooking the sea and provides visitors with panoramic views of the surrounding area.
6. Kassiopi: Kassiopi is a popular tourist destination that is known for its beautiful beaches, clear water, and ancient ruins. The town is also home to a small fishing harbor and a variety of restaurants and shops.
7. Canal d’Amour: The Canal d’Amour is a natural formation that features a series of rock formations and cliffs that create a unique and beautiful swimming area. The canal is surrounded by lush green hills and is a popular spot for photographers.
8. Glyfada Beach: Glyfada Beach is one of the most beautiful beaches in Corfu. The beach features sandy shores, crystal-clear waters, and is surrounded by lush green hills. The beach offers a variety of water sports and activities.
9. Vlacherna Monastery: Vlacherna Monastery is a beautiful Greek Orthodox monastery that is located on a small island just off the coast of Corfu. The monastery is surrounded by crystal-clear waters and provides visitors with stunning views of the surrounding area.
10. Sidari Beach: Sidari Beach is a beautiful beach that is known for its unique and picturesque rock formations. The beach features crystal-clear waters and a variety of water sports and activities.
1. When is the best time to visit Corfu?
The best time to visit Corfu is from May to October when the weather is warm and dry. However, July and August can be very busy, so it is recommended to visit in May or September when the crowds are smaller.
2. How do I get to Corfu?
Corfu can be reached by plane or ferry. There are direct flights from many major European cities, as well as ferries from Italy and Albania.
3. What are some of the must-see attractions in Corfu?
Some of the must-see attractions in Corfu include Paleokastritsa Beach, Achilleion Palace, Old Town, Mount Pantokrator, and Angelokastro Castle.
4. Are there any cultural events or festivals in Corfu?
Yes, Corfu hosts a variety of cultural events and festivals throughout the year, including the Carnival of Corfu, Easter celebrations, and Saint Spyridon’s Day.
5. What are some popular water sports in Corfu?
Some popular water sports in Corfu include parasailing, jet skiing, scuba diving, and boat tours.
In conclusion, Corfu is a beautiful island that is filled with hidden gems that should not be missed on your next vacation. Whether you are looking for stunning beaches, ancient ruins, or beautiful scenery, Corfu has something to offer everyone. So, pack your bags and get ready to discover the hidden gems of Corfu!