If you’re dreaming of turquoise waters, golden beaches, rugged cliffs, and the taste of authentic Greece, then look no further than Lefkada. This stunning island in the Ionian Sea is often overlooked by travelers in favor of more famous Greek destinations, but those in the know understand the magic of Lefkada. From the cosmopolitan town of Lefkada to the secluded beaches of the west coast, this island is a true gem. Read on to discover how to enjoy a taste of authentic Greece on your Lefkada holiday.
Lefkada is easily accessible from the mainland, with a bridge connecting the island to the west coast of Greece. The closest airport is in Preveza, about half an hour’s drive away. You can also reach Lefkada by ferry from several ports, including Igoumenitsa on the west coast of Greece and Kefalonia to the south.
Where to Stay
Lefkada has something to offer for all types of travelers, whether you’re looking for a luxurious beachfront resort or a budget-friendly apartment. The town of Lefkada has plenty of hotels and guesthouses, while the west coast of the island is more secluded with private villas and apartments. If you want to be close to the action, stay in the town, but if you want peace and quiet, head to the west coast.
What to Eat
Greece is famous for its delicious cuisine and Lefkada is no exception. You must taste the island’s specialties, such as the local fish dishes, the fried courgette flowers, and the traditional oven-baked lamb. Seafood options abound, too – try the octopus, fresh sardines or the fish soup. Wash it all down with some local wine or ouzo, a traditional Greek liquor.
Top 10 Tourist Attractions
1. The town of Lefkada – The main town of the island is a picturesque place with colorful houses, narrow streets, and traditional shops. It’s lively and bustling, with plenty of cafes, tavernas, and bars to keep you entertained.
2. Porto Katsiki – One of the most famous beaches in Greece, Port Katsiki is a truly stunning place. It’s located on the west coast of Lefkada, which makes it a bit of a trek to get there, but the journey is worth it.
3. Nidri Waterfalls – These waterfalls are one of the most underrated attractions on the island. Located near Nidri, they’re accessible via an easy hiking trail and have refreshing swimming spots.
4. Agios Nikitas – This village on the west coast of Lefkada is a perfect place to experience the authentic Greek way of life. It’s a real gem that’s worth exploring, with traditional tavernas and charming houses.
5. Kathisma Beach – Another gorgeous beach on the west coast, Kathisma Beach is known for its long stretch of white sand and crystal clear waters.
6. Karya Village – A beautifully preserved traditional village, Karya is a charming place that looks like it’s frozen in time. Here you can experience the real and unspoiled Greece.
7. Egremni Beach – One of the most beautiful beaches on the island, Egremni Beach is known for its crystal-clear turquoise waters and its golden sand.
8. Archaeological Museum of Lefkada – If you’re interested in Greek history, don’t miss this museum in the town of Lefkada. It showcases artifacts from the island’s ancient past.
9. Lefki Cape – The southernmost point of Lefkada is an impressive place with high cliffs and breathtaking views. It’s the perfect spot for a sunset photo opportunity.
10. Vasiliki Bay – A popular spot for windsurfing and kite surfing, Vasiliki Bay is located on the south coast of Lefkada. It’s a lovely place to relax and enjoy the view.
Q: What’s the best time to visit Lefkada?
A: The best time to visit Lefkada is during the summer months of June to September when the weather is sunny, the sea is warm and the island is bustling with visitors.
Q: What’s the currency in Lefkada?
A: The currency used in Lefkada and throughout Greece is Euro.
Q: Is it safe to travel to Lefkada?
A: Yes, Lefkada is a safe destination for travelers. However, it’s always advisable to take standard safety precautions when visiting any new place, including keeping your valuables secure and being aware of your surroundings.
Q: Do I need a visa to visit Lefkada?
A: Citizens of most countries, including the US, Canada, and Australia do not need a visa to visit Greece for up to 90 days. Always check with your local embassy or consulate for the latest visa requirements.
Q: Can I rent a car in Lefkada?
A: Yes, you can rent a car in Lefkada easily. There are several rental companies located at the airport and in the town of Lefkada.
Lefkada is an unspoiled paradise that’s waiting to be discovered. It’s a perfect destination for those who want to experience the real Greece, away from the crowds of more famous tourist spots. From the magnificent beaches to the traditional villages, there’s something for everyone on this stunning island. So, pack your bags and get prepared to taste authentic Greece on your Lefkada holiday.