Escape to Paradise: A Guide to Holidaying in Corfu
If you’re looking for a stunning holiday destination, Corfu is a great choice. This beautiful island located in the Ionian Sea is the second-largest of the Ionian Islands and has so much to offer visitors. Whether you are looking for beautiful beaches, historic sites, delicious cuisine, or a relaxed atmosphere, Corfu has it all. In this guide, we’ll provide you with all the information you need to plan your dream holiday in Corfu.
Q. When is the best time to visit Corfu?
A. The best time to visit Corfu is from May to October when the weather is warm and dry. However, if you’re looking for a quieter and cheaper holiday, May and September are great options.
Q. How do I get to Corfu?
A. You can get to Corfu by plane, ferry or bus. There are direct flights from various international airports to Corfu International Airport. You can also take a ferry from various ports in Greece, Albania, and Italy. Buses operate from Athens and some other major cities in Greece.
Q. What is the best way to get around Corfu?
A. Renting a car or a scooter is the best way to get around Corfu. However, there is also a public bus service that operates across the island.
Q. What should I pack for my trip to Corfu?
A. Pack comfortable, light clothes as the weather is warm during the day. You may need a light jacket or a sweater for the evenings. Don’t forget to pack sunscreen, sunglasses, and a hat.
Q. What are the must-try dishes in Corfu?
A. Corfu cuisine is influenced by Italian and Greek cuisine. You should try traditional dishes like sofrito, pastitsada, bourdeto, and tsigarelli.
Top 10 Tourist Attractions
1. Old Town of Corfu: The old town is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is home to numerous historic buildings and monuments.
2. Achilleion Palace: This beautiful palace was built for Empress Elisabeth of Austria in the 19th century and is surrounded by beautiful gardens.
3. Sidari Beach: This picturesque beach is popular for its crystal-clear waters and stunning rock formations.
4. Paleokastritsa: A must-visit destination for nature lovers, Paleokastritsa is a scenic village with beautiful beaches, olive groves, and cliff top views.
5. Canal D’Amour: This natural wonder is a series of coves, tunnels, and cliffs that are believed to have been carved by the sea over centuries.
6. Mount Pantokrator: For adventure seekers, a hike up the highest mountain in Corfu offers breathtaking 360-degree views of the island.
7. Glyfada Beach: One of the most popular beaches on the island, Glyfada offers a mix of water sports, great restaurants, and stunning sunsets.
8. Corfu Museum of Asian Art: This unique museum houses a collection of Asian art from various countries, including Japan, China, and India.
9. Kassiopi: This charming village on the north-east coast of the island has a beautiful harbor, beaches, and a castle.
10. Mouse Island: A small island located near the airport of Corfu, it is a popular spot for swimming and sunbathing.
In conclusion, Corfu is a stunning holiday destination that offers something for everyone. Whether you’re a history buff, an adventure seeker, or just looking for a relaxing beach getaway, Corfu is a great choice. From its beautiful beaches to its historic landmarks, its delicious cuisine to its vibrant culture, there is so much to explore on this beautiful island. So pack your bags and escape to paradise in Corfu!