Experience the Greek Island Charm – A Corfu Holiday Story
Picture-perfect beaches, turquoise waters, rugged mountains, and historic towns – these are just some of the things that await you on a holiday to Corfu. Located on the west coast of Greece, Corfu is a beauty to behold, with its stunning natural landscapes, charming culture, and delicious Greek cuisine. Whether you’re looking for adventure, relaxation, or history, Corfu has something for everyone.
From the moment you step off the plane at Ioannis Kapodistrias International Airport, you will feel the warm welcome of the Corfiot people. Their warm and friendly nature will make you feel at home and fall in love with the island.
Corfu is the second-largest of the Ionian Islands, and a popular tourist destination. The island is a perfect blend of old and new, with quaint traditional villages and lively modern resorts. Here’s a Corfu holiday story that takes you on a journey through the island, starting from the must-visit tourist attractions.
Top 10 tourist attractions in Corfu
1. Old Town of Corfu – Built over several centuries, the Old Town of Corfu is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Its winding streets, historic buildings, and elegant squares showcase the island’s rich cultural heritage.
2. Achilleion Palace – This stunning palace was built by Empress Elisabeth of Austria, also known as Sisi, in 1890. The palace is surrounded by beautifully manicured gardens and offers breathtaking views of the sea.
3. Mount Pantokrator – At 906 meters, Mount Pantokrator is the highest peak on the island. Take a hike to the top and be rewarded with panoramic views of Corfu and the Ionian Sea.
4. Paleokastritsa – This picturesque resort town is surrounded by lush mountains and offers some of the most beautiful beaches on the island.
5. Canal d’Amour – Located in the northwestern part of the island, Canal d’Amour is a natural channel with rocky cliffs, clear water, and secluded beaches.
6. Corfu Beaches – From popular tourist beaches like Glyfada and Sidari, to hidden coves like Myrtiotissa, Corfu offers some of the most stunning beaches in Greece.
7. Mouse Island and Vlacherna Monastery – Mouse Island is a tiny islet off the coast of Corfu, with a charming little church dedicated to Saint Spyridon. Also, the nearby Vlacherna Monastery is one of the most photographed places on the island.
8. Palaiokastritsa Monastery – This 13th-century monastery is perched on a steep hill overlooking the sea. The views from here are simply breathtaking.
9. Kaiser’s Throne – Named after the German Emperor Wilhelm II, who was a regular visitor to the island, Kaiser’s Throne offers stunning views of the east coast of Corfu.
10. Corfu Museum of Asian Art – The only museum of its kind in Greece, the Corfu Museum of Asian Art has a unique collection of art and artifacts from China, Japan, India, and Southeast Asia.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Corfu
Q. What is the best time to visit Corfu?
A. Corfu is a year-round destination, but the best time to visit is from May to September. The weather is warm and sunny, and the sea temperatures are perfect for swimming.
Q. How do I get to Corfu?
A. Corfu has an international airport, Ioannis Kapodistrias International Airport, which is well-connected to many European cities. You can also reach Corfu by ferry from several ports in Greece and Italy.
Q. What is the currency in Corfu?
A. The currency in Corfu is the Euro (€).
Q. What is the language spoken in Corfu?
A. The official language of Corfu is Greek, but English is widely spoken, particularly in tourist areas.
Q. What should I wear in Corfu?
A. During the summer months, lightweight clothing is recommended, and swimsuits are suitable for the beaches. When visiting churches or other religious sites, visitors are expected to dress modestly.
Q. Is it safe to travel to Corfu?
A. Corfu is a safe destination for travelers, with low crime rates and a welcoming local community. However, as with any destination, travelers should always exercise common sense and take necessary precautions.
A holiday to Corfu is a memorable experience, with something for everyone. Whether you’re interested in the island’s rich history, its stunning natural landscapes, or just want to relax on the beach, Corfu has it all. Consider booking your next holiday to this charming Greek island, and you won’t be disappointed.