Houston, the largest city in the state of Texas, has been named one of the most affordable cities in the US by Forbes. This accolade is well-deserved, as Houston has something to offer for everyone – from its rich cultural heritage to world-class dining and entertainment options. If you’re planning a visit to Houston, you’re in for a treat. Here’s everything you need to know about this vibrant city.
One of Houston’s biggest attractions is the affordability factor. From accommodation to food, Houston is one of the cheapest cities in the US. In fact, Houston’s cost of living is 7% lower than the national average, making it an inexpensive destination for travelers on a budget. Even a night at a luxury hotel won’t break the bank, with rooms starting at less than $100. You can also save big by using public transportation, which is easy to navigate, and UBER/Lyft is available throughout the city.
FAQs About Houston
Q: What is Houston famous for?
A: Houston is famous for its diverse population, NASA’s Johnson Space Center, world-renowned museums, and thriving arts scene.
Q: What is the best time to visit Houston?
A: The best time to visit Houston is from February to April or from September to November, when the weather is pleasant, and hotel prices are reasonable.
Q: What are the top tourist attractions in Houston?
A: The top tourist attractions in Houston are Space Center Houston, Houston Zoo, Museum of Fine Arts Houston, Discovery Green, Houston Aquarium, and Buffalo Bayou Park.
Q: What is the best way to get around in Houston?
A: The best way to get around in Houston is by car or public transportation. UBER and Lyft are available throughout the city, and the Houston Metro has buses and light rail.
Q. What kind of weather should I expect when visiting Houston?
A. Houston has a subtropical climate, which means hot and humid summers, mild winters, and year-round rain. The best time to visit Houston is from February to April or from September to November when the weather is pleasant.
Top 10 Tourist Attractions in Houston
1. Space Center Houston: This is the visitor center for NASA’s Johnson Space Center and a must-visit for science enthusiasts. You can learn about the history of space exploration, see spacecraft and artifacts, and even touch a moon rock.
2. Museum of Fine Arts Houston: With a collection of over 70,000 artworks from all over the world, this museum is a must-visit for art lovers. Exhibitions range from ancient to contemporary art, and you can also see pieces by renowned artists like Vincent van Gogh and Pablo Picasso.
3. Houston Zoo: Spread over 55 acres, the Houston Zoo is home to over 6,000 animals from 900 species. Highlights include the African Forest, Kipp Aquarium, and McNair Asian Elephant Habitat.
4. Discovery Green: This 12-acre park in the heart of downtown Houston is a great place to relax and unwind. You can attend events, concerts, and festivals, or just stroll around and enjoy the beautiful green space.
5. Houston Museum of Natural Science: With exhibitions on everything from dinosaurs to gems and minerals, the Houston Museum of Natural Science is a must-visit for science buffs. The museum also has a planetarium and a butterfly exhibit.
6. Houston Aquarium: Located in downtown Houston, this aquarium is home to over 200 species of aquatic animals. You can see everything from stingrays to sharks, and even touch some of the creatures in the interactive exhibits.
7. Buffalo Bayou Park: This scenic park offers breathtaking views of the Houston skyline and is a great place to go for a walk, run or bike ride. You can also go kayaking or paddleboarding on the Buffalo Bayou.
8. Houston Symphony: This world-class symphony orchestra offers performances throughout the year, from classical to contemporary music. The symphony has won several awards and has been featured on PBS.
9. The Menil Collection: This museum features an impressive collection of art from ancient to modern times. The building itself is a work of art, with a unique architectural design that blends in seamlessly with the surrounding trees.
10. Houston Galleria Mall: This upscale shopping mall is a shopper’s paradise. You can find high-end brands like Louis Vuitton, Gucci, and Prada, as well as more affordable options like Forever 21 and H&M. There are also several restaurants and a large ice-skating rink.
In conclusion, Houston is a vibrant and culturally-rich city that offers something for everyone, regardless of your budget. With affordable accommodation, transportation and entertainment options, you can explore the city’s numerous attractions and indulge in its cuisine with ease. Plan your trip to Houston, and you won’t be disappointed.