Corfu is a popular Greek Island located in the Ionian Sea. The island is popular amongst tourists for its stunning beaches, buzzing nightlife, historic architecture, and natural beauty. However, a common misconception about the island is that it’s expensive and only suited for luxury travelers. Fortunately, that’s not entirely true as one can enjoy Corfu on a budget.
In this article, we will take a closer look at how you can enjoy a budget-friendly vacation on this Greek Island paradise.
1. Planning your visit: When planning your visit to Corfu, it’s essential to keep in mind the high tourist season, which is typically from late June to early September. During this period, most hotels and resorts are fully booked, and prices are high. Therefore, it’s advisable to visit during the shoulder months of May, October, and November when the crowds are fewer, and the prices are lower.
2. Choosing budget-friendly accommodation: Accommodation options are one of the significant expenses when traveling. However, Corfu has plenty of budget-friendly accommodation options to suit every traveler’s needs. Hostels and guesthouses are ideal for budget travelers as they offer affordable rates, communal spaces, and a chance to meet fellow travelers. Airbnb is another great option, especially for those traveling in groups, as the prices are lower compared to hotels.
3. Eating on a budget: Corfu has an excellent selection of local eateries that serve authentic Greek cuisine at affordable prices. Seek out local taverns and restaurants that offer specials of the day, and you may find that their prices are more budget-friendly than the touristy hotspots. For example, local dishes such as gyros and souvlaki are relatively cheap.
4. Transportation: Public transportation is a budget-friendly option for getting around Corfu. Buses and taxis are widely available, and the prices are reasonable. However, if you prefer to explore the island independently, renting a car or a scooter would be the best option. Car rentals on the island are relatively cheap, and the cost is even lower during the shoulder season.
5. Free activities and attractions: Corfu has plenty of free activities and attractions to keep travelers entertained. The island’s natural beauty is stunning and easily accessible for those on a budget. The Achilleion Palace, located just outside of Corfu Town, provides a glimpse into the island’s cultural and architectural history. The Palace was built in the late 19th century by the Empress of Austria and is now a public museum. Additionally, the Old Fortress in Corfu town, a.k.a. the Fortress of San Marco, is a UNESCO World Heritage site and offers stunning views of the island.
6. Fascinating Historical Places: Corfu also has many ancient historic places that are relatively cheap to visit. Arguably the most popular of these historical places is the Mon Repos Palace, located in the Kanoni neighborhood, which is a blend of Greek, French, and British architecture. Inside the palace, you can find a natural history museum, showing the flora and fauna of Corfu, and discover the history of the island. Another great historical place to visit align with visiting Kassiopi and the ruins of the ancient Roman Baths.
Q. What is the currency used in Corfu?
A. The currency used in Corfu is the Euro (€).
Q. Is Corfu expensive?
A. Corfu can be expensive during the peak tourist season (late June to early September), but budget-friendly options are available during the shoulder season (May, October, November).
Q. What is the weather like in Corfu?
A. Corfu has typical Mediterranean weather, with mild winters and warm summers. The best time to visit is during the shoulder season (May, October, November) when it’s not too hot, and the crowds are fewer.
Q. How do I get around Corfu?
A. The most budget-friendly way to get around Corfu is via public transportation, such as buses or taxis. Alternatively, renting a car or a scooter is a great way to explore the island independently.
Q. What are some budget-friendly activities to do in Corfu?
A. Corfu has plenty of free activities and attractions, such as visiting the Achilleion Palace, exploring Mount Pantokrator, and admiring the beauty of Paleokastritsa. Doing some shopping at the historic and colorful Liston Arcade or trek the Ancient Trail of Corfu(It is like an amazing secret garden where exotic fruit trees, different flowers, plants thanks its microclimate, with a refreshing stream throughout the year flowing along the whole length of the trail) is also budget-friendly.
Top 10 Tourist Attractions in Corfu:
1. Achilleion Palace
2. Old Fortress in Corfu town
4. Glyfada Beach
5. Liston Arcade
7. Island of Pontikonisi
8. Mon Repos Palace
9. Mount Pantokrator
10. Corfu’s Old Town
In conclusion, enjoying a budget-friendly vacation in Corfu is possible with a bit of preparation and planning. Choosing budget-friendly accommodation, eating local food, using public transportation or renting a car, visiting historical, cultural and natural sights and free attractions like Achilleion Palace, Old Fortress, Liston Arcade, Mount Pantokrator, and Paleokastritsa are excellent ways to save money without compromising your experience. Lastly, exploring Corfu during May, October, and November’s shoulder season is the best time for budget travelers, with lower prices and fewer crowds.