Kavos, Greece may not be as popular as other Greek destinations like Mykonos or Santorini, but it is a hidden gem waiting to be explored. Located on the southernmost tip of Corfu island, Kavos overlooks the clear blue waters of the Ionian Sea. This area is known for its lively nightlife, stretching sandy beaches, and crystal-clear waters.
Kavos is a perfect destination for those who are looking for relaxation and fun at the same time. The beaches of Kavos offer an excellent opportunity for swimming, sunbathing, and various water sports activities. In the evening, the town comes alive with partygoers, with a range of bars and nightclubs open until the early morning hours.
Getting to Kavos
The most convenient way to reach Kavos is by air. Corfu International Airport is 45km north of Kavos, and it takes about an hour to get there by taxi. Alternatively, visitors can take the bus, which runs several times a day from the airport to Kavos, or rent a car at the airport.
Another option is to take a ferry. Kavos is connected by ferry to Igoumenitsa, a port in mainland Greece. From there, visitors can take a bus or hire a taxi to Kavos.
Accommodation in Kavos
Kavos offers a wide range of accommodation options for all budgets, from luxurious resorts to budget-friendly apartments. The most popular hotels and resorts are located near the beach and offer stunning views of the sea. For those looking for a more authentic experience, there are several apartments and villas that give visitors a chance to experience the local culture.
1. What is the best time to visit Kavos?
The best time to visit Kavos is during the summer months from June through September when the weather is warm and sunny. However, this is also the peak tourist season, so it can get very crowded. Spring and autumn are also good times to visit. The weather is still pleasant, and there are fewer tourists.
2. Is Kavos suitable for families?
Kavos is more suitable for young adults looking for fun and partying. The nightlife can get loud and wild, and there are not many activities for children. However, there are some family-friendly hotels and resorts in the area that offer activities for children.
3. What is the currency in Kavos?
The currency in Kavos is Euro.
4. What are the must-try dishes in Kavos?
Some of the local specialties that visitors must try are moussaka, souvlaki, and tzatziki. Seafood is also popular in the area, with fresh fish and octopus being the most popular.
5. What are the best beaches in Kavos?
Some of the best beaches in Kavos are Kavos Beach, Agios Petros Beach, and St. Peters Beach. All of these beaches offer a perfect setting for swimming, sunbathing, and enjoying water sports activities.
Top 10 Tourist Attractions in Kavos
1. Kavos Beach: Kavos Beach is the most popular beach in the area, with soft sand and clear blue waters. Visitors can enjoy a range of water sports activities, including jet-skiing, parasailing, and banana boat rides.
2. Paxos and Antipaxos Islands: These islands are located just off the coast of Kavos and offer visitors a chance to explore their stunning natural beauty. Visitors can take a boat tour around the islands and enjoy snorkeling and swimming in their crystal-clear waters.
3. Aqualand: Aqualand is a water park located near Kavos, offering exciting water slides, lazy rivers, and wave pools. It is a perfect destination for families with children.
4. Sivota: Sivota is a picturesque fishing village located just a short distance from Kavos. Visitors can explore the village’s narrow streets and traditional taverns, as well as swim in its crystal-clear waters.
5. Parga: Parga is a historic seaside town located just a short distance from Kavos. Visitors can explore the town’s historic castle and traditional architecture, as well as swim in its crystal-clear waters.
6. Achilleion Palace: The Achilleion Palace is a historic building located on a hilltop just a short distance from Kavos. Visitors can explore the palace’s stunning gardens and historic artifacts.
7. Corfu Old Town: Corfu Old Town is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and home to several historic buildings, including churches, museums, and castles. Visitors can explore the town’s narrow streets and traditional architecture.
8. Canal D’amour Beach: Canal D’amour Beach is known for its stunning rock formations and crystal-clear waters. Visitors can swim and snorkel in the area’s natural pools carved into the rocks.
9. Paleokastritsa Beach: Paleokastritsa Beach is located on the west coast of Corfu and is known for its stunning natural beauty. Visitors can enjoy swimming, sunbathing, and snorkeling in the area’s crystal-clear waters.
10. Kassiopi: Kassiopi is a picturesque seaside village located on the north coast of Corfu. Visitors can explore the village’s narrow streets and traditional taverns, as well as swim in its crystal-clear waters.
In conclusion, Kavos, Greece, is a hidden gem waiting to be explored. With its stunning beaches, crystal-clear waters, and lively nightlife, it offers visitors the perfect balance of relaxation and excitement. Whether visitors are looking for water sports activities, cultural attractions, or vibrant nightlife, Kavos has something for everyone.