Lefkada Island: A Beach-Goer’s Paradise
Lefkada, also known as Lefkas, is an island in the Ionian Sea, off the west coast of Greece. It is a popular tourist destination because of its crystal-clear waters, sandy beaches, breathtaking landscapes, and charming villages. The island is also easily accessible because of the newly built bridge that connects the island to the mainland. If you’re planning to visit Lefkada, this travel article will serve as your guide on what to expect and what to do on this Greek island.
Getting to Lefkada Island:
The easiest way to get to Lefkada Island is by flying to Aktion National Airport, which is located on the mainland – about a 30-minute drive to the island. The airport has direct flights from various cities in Europe, including Vienna, Warsaw, Berlin, and several UK cities. From the airport, you can rent a car, take a taxi, or use public transportation to get to the island.
If you’re already in Greece, you can also take a bus or drive to Lefkada Island. City buses run to/from Athens to Lefkada Island, while private buses operate from Thessaloniki and other nearby cities.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Is Lefkada Island expensive?
A: Lefkada Island can be an affordable destination compared to other Greek islands. Prices can vary depending on accommodation, food, and activities you choose. To save money, consider visiting during the shoulder season (May-June, September-October) and look for budget-friendly accommodations.
Q: Do I need a car to explore the island?
A: Having a car is highly recommended if you want to explore the island independently. Public transportation can be limited, and taxis can be expensive, especially during peak season. Rental cars are readily available on the island, but book in advance, especially during peak season.
Q: What are the best beaches on Lefkada Island?
A: Some of Lefkada’s best beaches include Porto Katsiki, Egremni, Kathisma, Agiofili, and Milos Beach. Each beach has its unique features, but they all offer crystal-clear water and gorgeous scenery.
Top 10 Tourist Attractions in Lefkada Island:
1. Porto Katsiki Beach – Porto Katsiki beach is one of the most popular beaches on Lefkada Island. It is famous for its turquoise waters, white sandy beach, and towering cliffs.
2. Egremni Beach – This beach is known for its long stretch of golden sand, crystal-clear waters, and panoramic views. It is one of the most picturesque beaches on the island.
3. Kathisma Beach – Kathisma beach is a long stretch of white sand and calm waters, making it an ideal spot for swimming and sunbathing. It also has several taverns and beach bars.
4. Nydri Waterfalls – Located in the village of Nydri, these waterfalls offer a refreshing break from the heat. The falls are easy to reach by foot and involve a lovely walk through lush vegetation.
5. Agiofili Beach – Hidden behind high cliffs, Agiofili is a secluded beach accessible only by boat or by a steep and rocky path. It is a picturesque spot featuring turquoise waters and soft white sand.
6. Lefkada Town – The island’s capital is a charming town with a picturesque harbor, narrow streets, and traditional buildings. It features several taverns, bars, and cafes, along with a vibrant nightlife.
7. Sivota – This fishing village is a cozy destination, where you can stroll through the tranquil streets, admire the boats in the picturesque harbor, relax in a waterfront café, or enjoy some local cuisine in one of the taverns.
8. Meganissi Island – Meganissi is a small island just across the strait from Lefkada Island. It features secluded beaches, crystal-clear waters, and traditional villages.
9. Vassiliki – This village is a water sports paradise featuring strong winds, making it the perfect spot for windsurfing, kitesurfing, and sailing.
10. Aktion National Park – This is a vast national park located on the mainland, where nature and archaeology offer a unique combination of interest. Visitors can view rare species of flora and fauna and explore ancient sites such as the ancient city of Nikopolis.
In conclusion, Lefkada Island is a paradise for beach lovers, offering pristine beaches, clear waters, and breathtaking landscapes. Visitors can also explore the charming villages, historic sites, and natural beauty of the island for a truly unforgettable experience. Whether you’re looking for relaxation or adventure, Lefkada has something for everyone.