Mykonos: A Picture-Perfect Island Escape for Your Next Vacation
Mykonos is known for its glitz and glamour, white cubist architecture, vibrant nightlife, and beautiful beaches that make it an ideal place to escape to for vacation. It is located in the heart of the Cyclades, a group of Greek islands in the Aegean Sea, and is one of the most popular destinations in Greece. This beautiful island is a paradise for those who seek a perfect blend of rest and relaxation, history, culture, and fun. In this article, we’ll explore everything you need to know about vacationing in Mykonos.
Getting to Mykonos
You can get to Mykonos by plane, ferry, helicopter, or superyacht. If you’re traveling from Athens, the quickest and easiest option is to take a 30-minute flight. You can also opt for a scenic four-hour ferry ride from Piraeus Port in Athens or from other Greek islands. There are also direct flights from other major cities in Europe, the Middle East, and the USA.
When To Visit Mykonos
The best time to visit Mykonos is from May to September when the weather is warm and the sea is calm. The peak season is in July and August when the island is crowded with tourists, and prices are high. If you want to avoid the crowds and enjoy lower prices, then May, June, and September are the ideal months to visit. During the winter months, many businesses are closed, and the island can be quite deserted.
Where To Stay In Mykonos
Mykonos offers a wide range of accommodation options from luxury villas to boutique hotels, and cozy guesthouses. Choosing where to stay will depend on your budget, preferences, and the experience you want to have. Some of the popular areas to stay include Mykonos town, Ornos, Platis Gialos, and Agios Ioannis.
Things To Do In Mykonos
1. Visit the Windmills: The windmills are an iconic feature of Mykonos, and they are one of the most photographed landmarks on the island. These windmills were once used to grind wheat and barley, and today they serve as a popular tourist attraction.
2. Explore Mykonos Town: the most picturesque town in the Cyclades islands, with its maze-like streets, colourfully painted doors and window frames, and whitewashed houses with blue doors, domes, and shutters.
3. Swim in the Beaches: Mykonos is blessed with many beautiful beaches such as Super Paradise, Paradise, Psarou, Elia, and Agios Ioannis. They all have crystal clear waters, golden sand, and many beach bars and restaurants.
4. Party At Mykonos’ Nightlife : Mykonos is known for its vibrant nightlife. The island boasts a plethora of bars, clubs, and lounges, most of which are located in Mykonos Town, where you can party all night long.
5. Take a Boat Tour: Explore the coastline of Mykonos and the nearby islands by taking a boat tour. You can visit Delos Island, which is an important archaeological site, or explore some of the secluded beaches only reachable by boat.
6. Shop at Matoyianni Street: Matoyianni Street is a shopper’s paradise. It’s a narrow street lined with chic boutiques, designer stores, and souvenir shops.
7. Scuba Diving: Mykonos has crystal clear waters, and it’s a great place for scuba diving enthusiasts.
8. Visit Panagia Paraportiani: This is one of the most famous churches in Mykonos, and it’s a unique landmark. It’s a complex of five churches, and it is made up of four chapels that surround the fifth one, which is at the center.
9. Experience Greek Cuisine: Mykonos is known for its local cuisine, which heavily features fresh seafood, olive oil, and herbs. Some traditional dishes include Greek salad, moussaka, souvlaki, and seafood saganaki.
10. Visit the Folklore Museum: The Folklore Museum of Mykonos is located in a stunning old mansion, and it gives you a glimpse into Mykonian life in the past.
Q: What is the currency in Greece?
A: Euro (EUR)
Q: What is the language spoken in Mykonos?
A: Greek and English
Q: What is the main mode of transportation in Mykonos?
A: Scooters, ATVs, buses, and taxis.
Q: Do I need a visa to travel to Mykonos?
A: It depends on your nationality. Visit the Greek embassy website for more information.
Q: Is it safe to travel to Mykonos?
A: Yes, Mykonos is generally safe for tourists. However, always be aware of your surroundings and take precautions.
Mykonos is a spectacular holiday destination; it offers everything you could ask for in a vacation spot. From the stunning beaches to the vibrant nightlife, exploration of its history and culture, excellent local cuisine, and shopping experiences. You are bound to have an unforgettable holiday in this charming Greek island. Keep our travel guide handy to create an itinerary that suits the experience you want to have, and you will undoubtedly have an unforgettable stay in Mykonos.