Athens, the capital of Greece, is a city steeped in history and culture, and is known as the birthplace of western civilization. But what many people don’t know is that Athens is also a perfect city break for couples looking for romance, with its picturesque streets, cozy cafes, and stunning views.
In this article, we’ll take a look at why Athens is perfect for couples, some of the most frequently asked questions, and the top 10 tourist attractions that you can’t miss.
Why Athens is perfect for couples:
1. The city is romantic and charming with a long history of love stories.
2. Athens is a stunning city filled with picturesque alleyways, breathtaking architecture and spectacular views of the Aegean Sea.
3. The weather is great for romance with sunshine nearly all year round.
4. The Greeks are known for their open hearts and hospitality.
5. The food is delicious and the wine list is impressive.
6. Athens is home to some of the most beautiful beaches in Europe.
7. The nightlife will set your hearts racing with trendy bars and clubs, and romantic moonlit strolls along cobblestones.
Q: What is the best time to visit Athens on a romantic city break?
A: Athens is sunny and warm from April to October, with temperatures peaking in July and August. The best months for a romantic city break are May, June, September, and October when the weather is warm and without the crowds that July and August bring.
Q: How much will a romantic city break in Athens cost?
A: The cost of a romantic city break in Athens depends on the type of accommodation you choose, as well as your food and drink preferences. Budget-friendly options are available but if you want to stay in a luxurious hotel, indulge in fine dining, attend cultural events or visit the famous Greek islands nearby, the cost will be higher. Expect to spend around €100-€200 per day per person.
Q: What is the food like in Athens?
A: Athens boasts a diverse cuisine with traditional dishes using fresh ingredients from the Mediterranean, including feta cheese, olive oil, and fresh seafood. Greek meze plates with dips, olives, and cheeses are perfect for sharing with your loved one. Vegetarians will enjoy a range of traditional dishes, including fans of stuffed vegetables, dolmades, and spinach and cheese pie. Greek wines are also fantastic and a must-try.
Q: Is Athens safe for couples?
A: Athens is a safe city for couples, although like any major city, it is important to be aware of your surroundings and take normal precautions.
Top 10 tourist attractions in Athens:
1. Acropolis: A must-visit regardless of your itinerary, the Acropolis is the most visited site in Athens. It includes the Propylaea, Parthenon, and Erechtheion, all of which are regarded as the holiest sites in Athens.
2. Plaka: Plaka is the most charming and oldest part of Athens. It is known for its narrow alleyways and houses with red-tiled roofs. It is the ideal spot for a romantic stroll and to find small restaurants that serve traditional Greek cuisine.
3. Temple of Olympian Zeus: This temple took 638 years to build, from 6th BC to 2nd century AD. It is a grand tribute to the ancient Greek gods, and its size offers breathtaking views of the surrounding area.
4. Lycabettus Hill: Perfect for sunset lovers, the Lycabettus Hill offers the best views of Athens. You can choose between walking to the top or taking a cable car, and there are several charming cafes at the summit to enjoy the stunning views.
5. National Archaeological Museum: The National Archaeological Museum hosts some of the oldest and most impressive artifacts from ancient Greece.
6. Ancient Agora: The Ancient Agora is an essential visit while in Athens. This former meeting place of the Athenians is an archeological site that was once a political marketplace.
7. Kerameikos: Kerameikos is the ancient cemetery of Athens where the most well-known personalities from Greek mythology were laid to rest.
8. National Gardens: The National Gardens are located behind the Parliament building and offer a break from the city’s bustling energy.
9. Benaki Museum: The Benaki Museum consists of a collection of Greek art and artifacts from prehistoric times to the modern-day.
10. Attica Zoological Park: If you want to experience a romantic wildlife adventure, Attica Zoological Park offers a unique experience to see the changing animal life of the island of Greece.
Athens is underrated as a romantic destination; the history, landscape, and charm of the city create an all-encompassing atmosphere. The beautiful weather, stunning views, and delicious food also make it a wonderful place to share with your partner. Besides that, it is one of the best ways to explore Athens is by walking, discovering every austere corner, and becoming part of the history. Make sure to explore the charming alleyways and hidden gems of Athens to make it a trip to remember for years to come.