Greece, with its idyllic islands, historic monuments, delicious food, and vibrant culture, has always been a top destination for travellers from all over the world. And with so much to see and do, Greece is an excellent choice for families looking for a fun-filled vacation. Whether you are travelling with babies, toddlers, or older children, there are plenty of attractions that will keep you and your little ones happy and entertained. In this article, we will explore some of the top islands that you must visit when travelling to Greece with children, as well as answer some frequently asked questions.
Top Islands to Visit in Greece with Children:
1. Crete – Crete is a family-friendly destination with plenty of beaches, water parks, and historic sites. The island has some of the best beaches in Greece, such as Elafonisi and Balos, which are perfect for families. There are also many water parks and amusement parks, such as the Watercity Waterpark, where kids can have a blast. And for a dose of history and culture, visit the ancient city of Knossos.
2. Rhodes – Rhodes is another popular destination for families, thanks to its beautiful beaches, water sports, and child-friendly resorts. The island has a well-preserved medieval old town and offers plenty of opportunities for outdoor activities, such as hiking and biking. The island also has a popular aquarium and a water park.
3. Corfu – Corfu is known for its lush greenery, crystal-clear waters, and stunning beaches. The island has plenty of family-friendly resorts, as well as water parks and amusement parks. The island also has a rich cultural heritage, with many historic sites and museums.
1. What is the best time to visit Greece with children?
The best time to visit Greece with children is from late spring to early autumn (May to September) when the weather is warm and sunny, and the sea is calm and perfect for swimming. However, keep in mind that July and August are peak tourist season, and the beaches and attractions can be crowded.
2. Is Greece safe for families with children?
Yes, Greece is generally a safe destination for families with children. However, like any other tourist destination, it is important to take some precautions, such as not leaving valuable belongings unattended and being aware of pickpockets.
3. What should I pack when traveling to Greece with children?
When traveling to Greece with children, it is important to pack lightweight, comfortable clothing, sunscreen, hats, and insect repellent. You should also pack swimwear, water shoes, and beach towels. If you are traveling with babies or toddlers, don’t forget to pack their favorite toys, snacks, and diaper-changing essentials.
Top 10 Tourist Attractions in Greece with Children:
1. Acropolis – A visit to the Acropolis is a must when in Athens. This ancient citadel is one of the most significant landmarks of Greece’s rich history and culture.
2. Mount Olympus – For older children, a visit to Mount Olympus is an exciting adventure. This mountain is home to Greek gods and goddesses and offers breathtaking views.
3. Santorini – Santorini is one of the most picturesque islands in Greece. With its iconic blue domes, whitewashed houses, and stunning sunsets, it is a must-visit destination for families.
4. Mykonos – Mykonos is another popular island for families. With its lively nightlife, beautiful beaches, and picturesque windmills, it is an ideal destination for older children and teenagers.
5. Meteora – Meteora is a unique landscape of towering rock formations and monasteries that should be on your itinerary. The scenery is breathtaking, and kids will love exploring the caves and hiking trails.
6. Samaria Gorge – If your family loves hiking, a trek through Samaria Gorge is a must. The scenery is awe-inspiring, and the experience is unforgettable.
7. Delphi – Delphi is an ancient city and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. With its well-preserved ruins, this ancient site is a great destination to teach children about Greek history and culture.
8. Nafplio – Nafplio is a beautiful seaside town with a rich history. It is an ideal destination for families who want to combine beach time with sightseeing.
9. Zakynthos – Zakynthos is known for its picturesque beaches and turquoise waters. Families can take a boat trip to see the famous Navagio Beach, which is accessible only by water.
10. Water parks – Greece is home to many water parks, such as the Watercity Waterpark in Crete and the Aquatica Water Park in Kos, which are great destinations for families who want to cool off and have fun in the sun.
Greece is a fantastic destination for families looking for a fun-filled vacation. With its idyllic islands, historic monuments, delicious food and vibrant culture, there is something for everyone. Whether you’re looking to relax on the beach or explore ancient sites, Greece is sure to deliver an unforgettable experience. So, pack your bags, grab the sunscreen, and get ready for a Greek adventure!