Crete, the largest island in Greece, is a popular vacation spot for travelers worldwide. The island has everything that one would expect from a perfect holiday destination: stunning beaches, picturesque villages, ancient ruins, delectable food, and warm hospitality. Crete is an ideal destination for those who want to relax and unwind while also having a bit of adventure. In this article, we will give you an ultimate guide to planning a relaxing Crete holiday in 2023.
Where to Stay?
Crete boasts a wide range of accommodation options, from budget-friendly hostels to luxurious villas. Here are some options for your stay in Crete:
1. Elounda Beach Resort – Elounda Beach Resort is a luxury 5-star resort located on the northeastern coast of Crete. The resort offers stunning views of the Mediterranean Sea, and its amenities include private beaches, swimming pools, and a golf course.
2. Cavo Spada Luxury Resort & Spa – Cavo Spada is a luxury resort located in the village of Kolymbari in western Crete. The resort offers luxurious accommodations, including private pools and beautiful views of the sea. The resort features spa treatments, a gym, and an outdoor pool.
3. The Island Concept – The Island Concept is a boutique hotel located in the city of Chania. The hotel features unique and stylish rooms and suites, a beautiful outdoor swimming pool, and a terrace with stunning views of the city.
What to Do in Crete?
1. Visit the Palace of Knossos – The Palace of Knossos is an archaeological site and was the center of the Minoan civilization. It is located just outside of the city of Heraklion and is a must-visit for history buffs.
2. Take a Boat Trip to Balos Lagoon – Balos Lagoon is a beautiful natural lagoon located on the northwestern coast of Crete. The lagoon is accessible only by boat, and it is one of the most beautiful beaches on the island.
3. Explore the Samaria Gorge – The Samaria Gorge is a stunning natural gorge located in the White Mountains in western Crete. The gorge is 16 kilometers long and is a popular destination for hikers.
4. Relax on the Beach – Crete has some of the most beautiful beaches in Greece. Popular beaches include Elafonissi, Falassarna, and Vai Beach.
5. Take a Food Tour – Crete is famous for its delicious cuisine. Taking a food tour is an excellent way to sample authentic Cretan dishes and explore the island’s food culture.
6. Visit the Venetian Harbor in Chania – The Venetian Harbor in Chania is a beautiful and historic port that dates back to the 14th century. It is a popular destination for photographers and romantics alike.
7. Visit the Arkadi Monastery – The Arkadi Monastery is a historic monastery located in the center of the island. It played a crucial role in the island’s fight for independence from the Ottoman Empire.
8. Take a Wine Tour – Crete has a thriving wine culture, and taking a wine tour is an excellent way to experience it. The island produces a wide range of wines, including red, white, and rosé.
9. Visit the Lassithi Plateau – The Lassithi Plateau is a beautiful and unique landscape located on the eastern side of the island. The plateau is filled with windmills and walnut trees and is a popular destination for hikers and nature lovers.
10. Explore the Cave of Zeus – The Cave of Zeus is a mythical cave located on the slopes of Mount Ida, the highest mountain in Crete. According to Greek mythology, it was the birthplace of Zeus.
Q: When is the best time to visit Crete?
A: The best time to visit Crete is during the months of May to September when the weather is warm and sunny.
Q: Is it safe to visit Crete?
A: Yes, Crete is a safe destination for travelers. However, like any other tourist destination, it is important to take precautions and be aware of your surroundings.
Q: Do I need a visa to visit Crete?
A: Citizens of the European Union, the United States, Canada, and Australia do not need a visa to enter Greece for a stay of up to 90 days.
Q: What is the currency used in Crete?
A: The currency used in Crete is the Euro.
Q: What is the language spoken in Crete?
A: The official language of Crete is Greek. However, English is widely spoken in tourist areas.
In conclusion, Crete offers a perfect combination of relaxation and adventure for travelers. With its beautiful beaches, historic sites, delicious food, and warm hospitality, it is a destination that should be added to everyone’s travel bucket list. Follow this ultimate guide to planning a relaxing Crete holiday in 2023 and make unforgettable memories on this beautiful Greek island.