Unwind and Recharge on Your Lefkada Getaway
Lefkada, also known as Lefkas, is a Greek island located in the Ionian Sea. It is one of the most underrated travel destinations in the country, but it offers a unique blend of modern and traditional Greek culture. The island is known for its pristine beaches, crystal-clear waters, mountain ranges, and lush greenery. It is a perfect getaway spot to unwind and recharge from the stresses of daily life.
Accommodation options in Lefkada
Lefkada has plenty of accommodation options to choose from, depending on your budget and preference. You can stay in comfortable apartments, hostels, villas, and hotels that offer excellent amenities such as swimming pools, restaurants, and spas. Villas and apartments are perfect for travelers who want a more private and intimate experience while hostels are excellent for budget travelers who want to meet other travelers.
Getting to Lefkada
Lefkada has no airport, and the only way to get there is by road or water. If you’re coming from Athens, you can drive to Lefkada via the Rio-Antirrio bridge or board a ferry that departs from the ports of Patras or Kyllini. If you’re coming from other parts of Greece or Europe, you can fly to Aktion National Airport and then take a taxi or rent a car to get to Lefkada.
Top 10 Tourist Attractions in Lefkada
1. Porto Katsiki Beach – This stunning beach is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Lefkada. It has crystal-clear waters, white sand, and is surrounded by high cliffs. The beach is located on the southwestern side of the island, and there are boat tours that take you there.
2. Agios Nikitas Village – This traditional village is located on the western side of Lefkada. It has colorful buildings, narrow streets, and a charming harbor. The village is an excellent place to relax, shop for souvenirs, or grab a bite to eat.
3. Kathisma Beach – This long and wide beach is located on the western side of Lefkada. It has turquoise waters, white sand, and is surrounded by green hills. The beach is perfect for sunbathing, swimming, and water sports.
4. Nydri Waterfalls – These waterfalls are located in the town of Nydri. They are surrounded by lush greenery and make for a peaceful and scenic spot to visit.
5. Karia Village – This traditional village is located on the eastern side of Lefkada. It is known for its remarkable architecture and houses with colorful window frames and doors.
6. Egremni Beach – This beach is regarded as one of the most beautiful in Greece. It has crystal-clear waters, white sand, and is surrounded by cliffs. However, due to the 2015 earthquake, it is currently closed for repairs.
7. Nidri Harbor – This harbor is located on the eastern side of Lefkada. It is a busy spot where you can watch boats coming in and out, shop for souvenirs, or enjoy a meal in a restaurant.
8. Vasiliki Bay – This stunning bay is located on the southern side of Lefkada. It has wind-surfing schools, yachting centers, and adventure sports that add to the excitement of visiting the place.
9. Meganisi Island – This island can be reached by boat from Nydri or Vasiliki. It has picturesque villages, small bays, and crystal-clear waters. The island is an excellent place to explore for an afternoon or go for a day trip.
10. Lefkada Monastery – The monastery is located on the top of a hill and offers breathtaking views of the island. It is a place to visit for history buffs, and the journey to the top is beautiful for hikers.
Q. What is the best time to visit Lefkada?
A. The best time to visit Lefkada is from May to September. During this time, the weather is sunny, warm, and perfect for relaxing on the beaches.
Q. What is the currency used in Lefkada?
A. The currency used in Lefkada is the Euro.
Q. What language do people speak in Lefkada?
A. The official language of Lefkada is Greek, but most people also speak English.
Q. Is Lefkada a safe place to visit?
A. Yes, Lefkada is a safe place to visit. The island has low crime rates, and locals are friendly and welcoming to tourists.
Q. Is it easy to get around Lefkada?
A. Yes, it is easy to get around Lefkada. You can rent a car, take a taxi or use public transportation.
In conclusion, Lefkada is a beautiful island full of scenic beaches, traditional villages, and exciting tourist attractions that can cater to travelers of all interests. Its tranquil surroundings and crystal-clear waters make it ideal for anyone who is looking for a place to unwind and recharge.