Halkidiki is a stunning coastal region located in northern Greece. It is made up of three peninsulas, each with their own unique flair and appeal. With its crystal-clear waters, gorgeous beaches, and picturesque towns, Halkidiki is the perfect destination for your next family holiday. Here are some reasons why:
Halkidiki has a range of family-friendly accommodations, from resorts and hotels to villas and apartments. Many of these accommodations have facilities and activities that are specifically geared towards families, making it easy to keep everyone entertained during your stay. Most resorts and hotels offer supervised children’s clubs, so parents can relax and enjoy the sunshine while the kids have a great time participating in various games and activities. Additionally, many of these properties have excellent children’s pools or water parks, so the kids can splash around and have fun while the parents unwind in the sunshine.
Halkidiki boasts some of the most stunning beaches in Greece, with crystal-clear waters and soft, golden sand. The beaches are ideal for families, with plenty of space to spread out and enjoy the sunshine. Some of the most popular family-friendly beaches in Halkidiki include Kallithea, Ancient Nikiti, and Sarti Beach.
Water sports and activities
From water skiing and jet skiing to paddleboarding and snorkeling, Halkidiki offers a range of water sports for families to enjoy. Many of the top beaches have water sports centers that offer equipment rentals and lessons, so kids and adults alike can try new things and have fun in the water.
Greek cuisine is world-renowned for its fresh, flavorful ingredients and delicious dishes. Halkidiki is no exception, with plenty of local restaurants and tavernas serving up delicious Greek food. For families with picky eaters, there are also plenty of international restaurants serving dishes from around the world. And for those with a sweet tooth, be sure to try the traditional Greek desserts, such as baklava and loukoumades.
Culture and history
Halkidiki has a rich history and culture, with ancient ruins and historical sites dotted throughout the region. Families can explore fascinating archaeological sites and learn about the region’s history and mythology. Some of the top historical sites in Halkidiki include the ancient city of Olynthos, the Castle of Arnea, and the cave of Petralona.
Q: What is the best time to visit Halkidiki?
A: The best time to visit Halkidiki is from May to September when the weather is warm and sunny.
Q: Do I need a visa to visit Halkidiki?
A: If you are a citizen of the European Union or the United States, you do not need a visa to visit Greece.
Q: Is it safe to travel to Halkidiki with children?
A: Yes, Halkidiki is a safe destination for families, with low crime rates and plenty of family-friendly accommodations and activities.
Q: Can I rent a car in Halkidiki?
A: Yes, you can easily rent a car in Halkidiki from one of the many car rental agencies located throughout the region.
Q: What is the currency in Halkidiki?
A: The currency in Greece is the Euro.
Top 10 tourist attractions in Halkidiki:
1. Mount Athos: A UNESCO World Heritage site, Mount Athos is home to 20 monasteries and is considered a spiritual and cultural center.
2. Nikiti Village: A charming village with traditional architecture, great seafood, and beautiful beaches.
3. Petralona Cave: Home to some of the oldest human remains in Europe, this fascinating cave also contains stalactites and stalagmites.
4. Ancient Olynthos: The ancient city of Olynthos is one of the most important archaeological sites in Halkidiki.
5. Ammouliani Island: This small island is home to stunning beaches, crystal-clear waters, and a charming fishing village.
6. Ouranoupolis: A picturesque town located on the edge of the Athos Peninsula, Ouranoupolis is a popular destination for families.
7. Parthenon: This ancient temple is located on the top of a hill and offers stunning views of the surrounding countryside.
8. Potidea Canal: This narrow canal connects the Gulf of Thermaikos with the Aegean Sea and is a popular spot for fishing and boat trips.
9. Sani Beach: One of the most popular family-friendly beaches in Halkidiki, Sani Beach offers crystal-clear waters and gorgeous sunsets.
10. Sithonia Peninsula: The middle of Halkidiki’s three peninsulas, Sithonia is a quieter and more laid-back destination, with stunning beaches and untouched natural beauty.