Cyprus: A Haven of Ancient Ruins and Natural Wonders
Cyprus is a beautiful Mediterranean island country located south of Turkey and east of Greece. Cyprus has a rich history and is home to numerous ancient ruins and natural wonders. With its turquoise waters, stunning landscapes, and hospitable people, Cyprus is a must-visit travel destination. This article will delve into the various attractions and wonders that Cyprus has to offer.
Why visit Cyprus?
Cyprus has a unique blend of culture, history and natural beauty. It is an island that caters to all kinds of travelers, from those seeking adventure and exploration to those who need a laid-back vacation. It is not only one of the most beautiful but also one of the safest places to visit. Cyprus is not just a sun, sea and sand destination. It is a heritage-rich island and boasts of truly unique attractions such as the famous mosaics in the ancient city of Paphos and the largest collection of Byzantine art in the world in the Archbishop Makarios III Foundation Museum.
What are the best months to visit Cyprus?
The peak tourist season in Cyprus is from June to August, however, weather and crowds should not be a barrier to visiting during other months. The shoulder season of April and May or September and October offers great weather, fewer crowds and cheaper prices.
What are the Visa requirements?
Visitors from most countries outside of the European Union require a visa to enter Cyprus. This can be obtained at the airport upon arrival. Please note that passport holders from some countries may require a Schengen visa as Cyprus forms part of the Schengen area. It is advisable to research this before your visit to ensure a smooth entry into the country.
What are the top 10 tourist attractions in Cyprus?
1. Tombs of the Kings – Located on the outskirts of Paphos, this area contains a series of impressive underground tombs and funerary monuments.
2. Ancient Kourion – This ancient city is well-preserved and offers stunning views of the Mediterranean Sea.
3. Mount Olympus – This mountain is the highest point on the island and offers some fantastic hiking trails and mountain biking routes.
4. UNESCO World Heritage Sites – Cyprus has three UNESCO World Heritage Sites: the painted churches in Troodos, the Paphos Archaeological Site, and the Choirokoitia Neolithic Settlement.
5. Nissi Beach – This stunning beach is located in Ayia Napa and is loved for its crystal clear waters.
6. St. Hilarion Castle – This beautiful castle in Kyrenia is said to have inspired the castle in Disney’s Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.
7. Aphrodite’s Rock – This famous rock formation, located in Paphos, is said to be the birthplace of the goddess of love, Aphrodite.
8. The Troodos Mountains – This beautiful mountain range offers stunning views, great hiking opportunities, and a fantastic ski resort.
9. Cape Greco – This stunning natural park is located near Ayia Napa and offers beautiful views of the Mediterranean Sea.
10. Akamas Peninsula – This pristine peninsula is home to secluded beaches, ancient ruins and stunning landscapes.
What should I pack for a trip to Cyprus?
Cyprus is a Mediterranean island so light, comfortable clothing is suitable for most of the year. However, a warm jacket and sturdy shoes are recommended for winter months, especially if you plan to do some hiking or visit the Troodos Mountains. It is also recommended to pack some sunscreen, a hat, and sunglasses for the hot summer months.
In conclusion, Cyprus is a must-visit travel destination filled with ancient ruins, natural wonders and beautiful scenery. It is a unique blend of culture, history and beauty that caters to all kinds of travelers from all walks of life. So if you’re looking for a perfect getaway, consider Cyprus – a haven of ancient ruins and natural wonders.