Zante, also known as Zakynthos, is a beautiful Greek island located in the Ionian Sea, off the western coast of mainland Greece. It is a popular tourist destination, known for its stunning beaches, crystal clear waters, and vibrant nightlife. However, there are also many hidden gems on the island that are just waiting to be discovered. In this article, we will take you on a journey of the hidden gems of Zante, and provide you with a comprehensive guide to plan your ultimate holiday on the island.
Zante has its own international airport, which connects the island with several destinations throughout Europe. Alternatively, visitors can also reach the island by taking a ferry from mainland Greece or Italy.
The Best Time to Visit
The best time to visit Zante is during the summer season, from May to September. During this time, the weather is warm and sunny, with temperatures ranging between 25 and 30 degrees Celsius. However, it is also the busiest time of the year, and prices tend to be higher. If you prefer a quieter holiday, you may want to consider visiting during the shoulder season, in April or October.
Where to Stay
Zante has a variety of accommodation options, ranging from luxury resorts to budget-friendly guesthouses. If you want to stay close to the action, the town of Laganas is a popular choice. It is known for its lively nightlife and is a great option for those looking for a party atmosphere. If you prefer a quieter holiday, the villages of Vasilikos and Keri are great options, known for their beautiful beaches and relaxed atmosphere.
Zante is a relatively small island, with a total area of just 405 square kilometers. The best way to explore the island is by renting a car or a scooter. Alternatively, you can also use the local buses, which run regularly between the main towns and villages. Taxis are also available, but they can be quite expensive.
Top 10 Tourist Attractions
1. Navagio Beach: Navagio Beach, also known as Shipwreck Beach, is one of the most famous beaches in Greece. It is famous for its crystal clear waters and the wreck of a smuggler’s ship that ran aground on the beach in 1980.
2. Blue Caves: The Blue Caves are a series of sea caves located on the northern tip of the island. They are famous for their clear blue waters and the stunning rock formations.
3. Marathonisi Island: Marathonisi Island is a small island located off the coast of Zante. It is known for its beautiful beaches and its population of sea turtles.
4. Keri Caves: The Keri Caves are a series of sea caves located on the southern coast of the island. They are famous for their clear waters and the stunning rock formations.
5. Alykes Potamou Waterfall: The Alykes Potamou Waterfall is located in the village of Pigadakia. It is a beautiful waterfall surrounded by lush greenery.
6. Byzantine Museum: The Byzantine Museum is located in the town of Zakynthos. It showcases the island’s history and culture through a collection of Byzantine art and artifacts.
7. Solomos Square: Solomos Square is located in the heart of Zakynthos town. It is named after the island’s national poet, Dionysios Solomos, and features a statue in his honor.
8. Tsilivi Beach: Tsilivi Beach is a popular beach located on the north-eastern coast of the island. It is known for its crystal-clear waters and sandy beach.
9. Keri Lighthouse: The Keri Lighthouse is located on the southern tip of the island. It offers stunning views of the coastline and the sea.
10. Dionysios Solomos Square: Dionysios Solomos Square is located in the town of Zakynthos. It features a statue of the island’s national poet, Dionysios Solomos, and is surrounded by cafes and restaurants.
Q: What is the currency used in Zante?
A: The currency used in Zante is the Euro.
Q: Is Zante a safe destination?
A: Yes, Zante is generally a safe destination. However, as in any tourist destination, visitors should take precautions against pickpockets and other petty crime.
Q: Can I drink the tap water in Zante?
A: It is not recommended to drink the tap water in Zante. Bottled water is widely available and is a safer option.
Q: Is English widely spoken in Zante?
A: Yes, English is widely spoken in Zante, particularly in tourist areas.
Q: Are there any cultural customs I should be aware of in Zante?
A: Yes, visitors should be aware of the conservative dress code in churches and other religious sites. It is recommended to dress modestly, covering shoulders and knees.
In conclusion, if you are looking for a holiday destination that offers both natural beauty and vibrant nightlife, Zante is the perfect choice. With its stunning beaches, crystal clear waters, and hidden gems waiting to be discovered, the island is sure to provide you with an unforgettable holiday experience. So what are you waiting for? Pack your bags and get ready to discover the hidden gems of Zante!